(603)812-5986 | mike@aaone.law

Areas of Practice

Areas of Practice 


Guardianship of a minor

Being a parent carries important legal responsibilities.  Parents are tasked with maintaining a safe environment and providing adequate care in order to protect the child's well being.  When parents of a minor child are unwilling or unable to meet this standard, substitution of those responsibilities may become necessary to for the safety of the child. 

Becoming a guardian over a parent's objection is difficult both legally and emotionally.  These cases often places people against loved ones and causes rifts in the family as a whole.  If you or someone you know feels that the safety of a minor is in jeopardy, or someone is attempting to gain guardianship over your child, you need the help of an experienced and compassionate lawyer to help navigate this situation and defend you in court.

Contact me for a free 30 minute consultation to discuss what legal steps can be taken to protect the child from harm and protect your rights as a parent.

abuse and neglect, 169-c

The Division of Youth and Family Services is tasked with investigating any report pertaining to the well being of a minor child.  If DCYF finds that a a child is in danger under the continued care of their custodial parent, they may file an Abuse and Neglect petition with the court.  This allows DCYF to assume legal supervision of the minor child and possibly remove them from their parent's care.  Whether you are accused of abuse and neglect, or the non accused parent, you have rights that are protected by law that DCYF must adhere to.

If you are being investigated by DCYF, have had your children removed, or are the non accused parent seeking to get your children into your care, you need an experienced attorney to help navigate this stressful situation and fight DCYF on your behalf.  

Call me for a free 30 minute consultation to discuss what rights are guaranteed in these case and what DCYF is required to do for you.

grandparent visitation rights

Grandparents play an important role in the lives of their grandchildren, often providing care when parents are away and supporting their grandchildren both physically and emotionally.  Unfortunately, parenting disputes can often deprive grandparents of the ability to see their grandchildren, severing that important bond. 

The State of New Hampshire recognizes how important Grandparents are in their grandchild's life and is one of the few states that allows Grandparents to maintain that relationship through the legal system.  Grandparents can now petition the court to grant reasonable visitation rights.  This determination is based on a multitude of factors, such as the best interest.  Understanding these factors and how the court views them can be a difficult and complicated process.  An experienced lawyer can explain these factors and assist in protecting that special bond between grandparent and grandchild.

If you or someone you know is struggling with this issue, or a grandparent is seeking to obtain visitation rights to your child, contact me for a free 30 min consultation to discuss your rights under the New Hampshire statute.

Child Custody

As a parent, your child is one of the most important persons in your life.  You want to ensure their safety while continuing to have an active role in their life.  The fear of potentially losing that right can be extremely upsetting.  That is why in separation cases, the topic of child custody is the most contentious battle.  When it comes time to determine how a child will be raised and what your rights are in regards to parenting time and the ability to make important decisions about your child, you need an experienced lawyer on your side.

Contact me for a free 30 minute consultation to discuss what your rights are and how to protect them.

termination of parental rights

Parents have a legal obligation to continually provide for and be in the life of their children.  When a parent no longer takes an active role in their child's life, termination may be in the best interest of the child.

Making the decision to terminate another parent's parental rights, or even knowing if you can, is a complicated and emotional process.  The State of New Hampshire has laid out a list of requirements when attempting to terminate ones parental rights.  This list includes things such as abandonment, failing to provide support, and crimes against a child.  In order to determine if you can terminate ones parental rights, or if someone is trying to terminate your parental rights, you need an experienced lawyer who can walk you through the process and defend you in court.

Contact me for a free 30 minute consultation in order to determine what rights you have to terminate, or stop a termination, under the law.